Re: Back to Being a Luddite (Oh Well)

But then I found out the downside. My speed won't increase that much

> because of the need for a firewall and virus protection. Everything > coming across the line, including today's constant java applets, must > be carefully checked for virus and spyware infestation. That slows > stuff down greatly.

I don't think it does. Has anyone made measurements? Text files and graphics don't have to be checked, only executable code.

How much effort does the technical people who define the Internet's > data exchange protocols put into developing indelible "return > addresses" and "postmarks" so as to track the source of sabotage and > harassment?

That I agree with. The Internet was designed for use within secure research labs. It needs to be completely re-engineered for use by the public. We can't make authentication perfect, but we can make fakery a *lot* harder than it presently is. We can also make our software make more intelligent use of the routing information that is already included in everything we receive; phishing, for instance, is close to 100% detectable if anyone cares to do it.

Reply to
mc
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.