Re: "All the President's Men" (Still More Movie Phone Trivial)

Yes, I do, That was subsequently determined by WE Engineers to have been an unintentional mistake.

Also, another undocumented feature on both the 1 and 1A ESS was that call waiting would work during a three-way call. This was carried over to the 5ESS, but later dropped. The DMS-10 and DMS-100 couldn't hack that level of porting, so WE (Lucent) dropped the capability in deference to the less robust DMS switches.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Do you recall one difference between > the way 'call forwarding' was originally set up and later on? People > could 'chain call-forward', that is, you forward yours to me; I then > forwarded mine to some other party; they forwarded theirs onward, etc. > Let's call them parties 'A', 'B', 'C' and 'D'. People realized they > could forward infinitly if they had enough co-conspirators to help > them, and make a (considerable) long distance call for the price of > a local call. The next generic of 'call forwarding' did not allow > that. Yes, A could forward to B and B could forward to C, etc, but > calls directed to A _stopped_ when they reached B. Calls directed to > B _stopped_ when they reached C. Officially the theory was that > persons calling A only wanted to talk to A. For A's convenience, his > calls could be forwarded to B, but party A did not want to be > forwarded onward to C or D. Or, so said telco. And originally, if A > forwarded to B and contemporaneously B forwarded to A, it would start > an endless loop until eventually all circuits in the CO were tied up. > Telco quickly put a stop to that also. But that 'chain forwarding' was > foolish anyway; people could rarely -- if ever -- make a series of > short distance calls for less expense than a single long distance > call. PAT]
Reply to
Sam Spade
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.