Re: A Question About 'Dial 1' in USA Calling

The Oklahoma City and Tulsa local calling areas are something like 75

> miles across east-west and north-south. There are no zones or other > charges associated with making calls in this local calling area. > I believe the Oklahoma City local calling area is the most extensive > in the U.S.A. The Atlanta area is not quite as large but serves more > telephones (exchange access arrangements or whatever they are called > now). > These are all flat rate service.

I wonder what the exact figures are for these areas. Another contender for the title of largest calling area would be Hawai`i County, Hawai`i, a.k.a. "the Big Island". The entire

4028-square-mile island is a single flat-rate local calling area. It's a good two-hour drive between the two chief cities (Hilo on the east coast and Kailua-Kona on the west coast), but they're just a local call away from each other. Even if it isn't the *biggest* local calling area, it might well be the *tallest* (as distinct from highest) local zone. There are phone numbers listed for some of the telescope facilities at the summit of Mauna Kea, more than 13,000 feet above sea level.

Bob Goudreau Cary, NC

Reply to
Bob Goudreau
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.