Re: A New Way around the Do Not Call Lists ...

> This past January I got a call from Peruzzi, a local car dealership

>> here in Bucks County PA (suburban Philadelphia), wishing me a Happy >> Holiday. > I think people are going around telling each other -- quite falsely -- > that if the message doesn't explicitly announce things for sale, it's > not an advertisement and therefore not a violation.

You're right, it's false.

A few weeks ago, a jeweler in my town used an autodialer to invite > people for a free ring cleaning. He told me it wasn't an > advertisement but an invitation. Worse, he made no attempt to avoid > dialing hospitals, fire stations, large PBXes, etc. ... my first > encounter with it was when my secretary got about 8 copies of the > message via other phones rolling over to hers.

Tell him you are thinking of filing a class action suit. See if he'll settle asap.

I don't know, but I suspect someone is aggressively selling > autodialers by telling people falsehoods about the law.

Very clever, and the salesperson is breaking no law, only the user!

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: What may be a bit more tricky, IMO is > when the purported message is to 'wish happy holidays' as our > original writer noted. When such a message is conveyed, is it still > in fact a 'sales call' or an advertising pitch? PAT]

No, giving out calendars is clearly advertising (but not illegal) yet making such phone calls is a violation.

Reply to
Rick Merrill
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.