Re: 208/240V, was: 25 Hz Power

John McHarry wrote

>> Some places the power company, at least in the past, got cheap and used >> two pole pigs to deliver an "open delta" where the third phase is >> imputed. On a warm spring day with the sun shining and the birds >> singing, this works fine. When the loads get out of balance, all sorts >> of evil ensues. > Why would ambient air temp affect load balance? I would think that load > balance would be determined by the customer's instantaneous demand.

I was being a bit flippant, like saying something is so loud it can be heard five miles upwind on a foggy day.

> There is, however, a reason for both wye and delta connections. Non >> linear loads, and ever more are with the prevalence of switching power >> supplies, generating harmonics. Multiples of the third harmonic, called >> triplen (from triple n) currents add in phase on the neutral. A >> wye-delta transformation traps them and keeps them out of the upstream >> system, where large currents on the neutral can wreak havoc. > Are wye-delta and delta-wye transformations ever used in secondary > distribution circuits? The ones I've seen were always in primary > distribution or sub-transmission.

I don't know, but I think you know more about this subject than I do. They may do it within substations, or perhaps they have other means of getting triplens off the neutral.

I do know switching power supplies cause some horrid current waveforms, mostly symmetric, so rich in odd harmonics. I used to volunteer engineering help at a public radio station. We were having trouble getting the UPSs and emergency generator to play together, so, after seeing the top clipped off the generator voltage waveform, I hooked a clamp on current probe into the scope. It looked like a pig's breakfast! Pretty much all the loads are switching supplies or fluorescent lights. The input to the UPSs looks a bit better, but is still extremely non linear. The wonder is that it worked at all. I believe they are now trying to raise the money for a much larger generator in the hopes it can cope with the insult.

Reply to
John McHarry
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.