Qwest Gets Customer Praise for Holding Back Records

By Tom Zeller Jr. The New York Times

The 1974 Privacy Act was aimed at preventing the government from piling up data on Americans precisely because it could not be trusted. The act did not envision giant commercial databases, or that one day, the government could simply buy its way around the law.

Before last week's report that Qwest Communications was apparently the lone holdout among the four largest U.S. telecommunications companies secretly supplying the National Security Agency with Americans' phone-call records, online grumblers often called Qwest by a different name: "Qworst."

Whether or not that reputation has been healed by the company's unexpected, and perhaps overstated, turn as a defiant protector of consumer privacy is unclear. A hastily conducted Washington Post-ABC News poll did suggest on Friday that 63 percent of Americans thought that the security agency's program was "an acceptable way to investigate terrorism."

What is clear is that news of the agency program, particularly in this fiercely polarized political climate, has turned a beleaguered regional phone company with a somewhat lackluster customer service record into a gleaming political touchstone and beacon of consumer protection.

"Qwest: NSA-Free," exclaims an image button making the rounds on liberal blogs at the end of last week. "Who are you with?"

Compare that to typical online commentary before last week:

"I have had a problem with my home phone line for over a year!" reads a rant at the Useful Fools blog. "I pay for service that I don't get! Down with Qwest! I will never use them again!"

To be fair, it is equally easy to scan consumer complaint sites and find irate customers berating, for example, Verizon in the plainest of terms -- "Can you hear me now?!"

Lousy Service With a Backbone?

Even as Qwest jockeyed in the late 1990s to become one of the first U.S. telecommunications companies to offer bundled services -- telephone, Internet, television, wireless all on one bill -- its reputation for poor customer service, confusing billing and corporate misdeeds has overshadowed its ambitions, making its sudden turn as champion of consumer interests all the more incongruous.

The company, which is based in Denver, settled a Securities and Exchange Commission fraud inquiry in 2004 for US$250 million. An additional $400 million was agreed to in October as a partial settlement with angry investors.

"They've always had the worst service record in terms of getting things installed and keeping them working," said James Hood, founder of Consumeraffairs.com, a consumer advocacy and complaint site.

AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth had all been providing the NSA with call records under a contract, USA Today reported. Only Qwest had refused, according to the report, citing the "legal implications of handing over customer information to the government without warrants."

Instant Payoff!

"Thank you Qwest! It's nice to see someone following principle over profits," wrote a user named Terra at ThankyouQwest.org, a Web site hastily erected by the purveyors of the liberal blog Empire Burlesque. "When will you have cell service in Ohio?"

At Americablog.com, Melissa said: "I just switched to Qwest. It took two minutes."

Of course, some of the praise was more grudging -- particularly among Qwest customers who nonetheless oppose what they considered to be government snooping.

"Good for Qwest, but, ugh, an otherwise horrible phone company," Craig Randall wrote at Americablog.

A current, and unhappy, Qwest customer from Iowa reported, "We have only recently had an option to switch local providers in this rural area, and I have planned to leave Qwest and go with a smaller outfit built by my town." No longer.

Government Buying Its Way Around the Law? "Just when I thought I was done with them they go and do something terrific," the customer said. "I'll write and tell them why I'm staying."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the company's core products, but a customer is a customer.

It is worth noting that telephone companies and banks, and shoe warehouses, magazines, courts, video rental stores and online retailers are buying and selling and sharing our personal information all the time.

Much of it is gobbled up by large data warehouses, which in turn peddle access to the government.

ChoicePoint, the world's largest data broker, recently signed a five-year, $12 million contract with the FBI -- another end-run, consumer advocates contend, around the 1974 Privacy Act, which was aimed at preventing the government from piling up data on Americans precisely because it could not be trusted.

The act did not envision giant commercial databases, or that one day, the government could simply buy its way around the law.

Copyright 2006 New York Times.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at

formatting link
. Hundreds of new articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at
formatting link
(or)
formatting link
For headlines and news from New York Times, Christian Science Monitor and National Public Radio with no login nor registration requirements, please go to
formatting link

Reply to
Tom Zeller, Jr.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.