NYC Pennsylvania Station Pay Phone Usage

I was in Pennsylvania Station in New York and noticed in the main pay phone alcove (Amtrak area) that nine people were using the pay phones all at once. That's more than I'd expect.

In addition to that alcove there were payphones scattered throughout the station though I didn't take note of usage. I did notice people using pay phones in subway stations.

Of course, in NYC Verizon pay phones are 25c for a brief local period and also offer coin long distance at 25c a minute. Non Verizon pay phones are 50c but for a longer initial period. I found a convenient Verizon 25c payphone on a corner for my needs (avoiding the 50c ones). (Using my cell phone would be costly with (1) day rate and (2) roaming).

In one building a pay phone "closet" actually had a phone book with it. I haven't seen a phone book near a pay phone in years, it used to be standard dangling on a light chain or on a pedestal on or the shelf underneath. Pay phone banks had a series of directories.

For some reason, otherwise it's hard to find a pay phone that allows coin long distance calls. My local train station once allowed that but discontinued it. If you try dialing 1+ at a pay phone you just get the fast busy reorder signal.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.