Judge says RIAA can identify Internet users [telecom]

I don't know how old this decision is, and I don't see a date on the .pdf file, but I don't think it has appeared in the Digest before.

Long story short: a judge has ruled that Internet Service Providers have to hand over the identities of their users when the RIAA serves a subpoena. Verizon had claimed that, since the allegedly infringing data wasn't on Verizon's servers, that they didn't have to do anything. The Judge sided with the RIAA, saying that Verizon had to provide the identity of their user.

I'm curious what others think about this isse: as I wrote a few weeks ago, allowing companies to sue anyone they claim is violating copyright would effectively remove all reference material on older technologies from the Internet, thus making it much more difficult for small CLECs to avoid paying for new equipment.

Decision is at:

Bill Horne

Reply to
Henry Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.