following Australia’s biggest cyberattack [telecom]

By Luke Huigsloot

The hack on Latitude Financial is Australia’s biggest cyberattack, with driver’s license numbers, passports and financial documents among the stolen information.

The Australian government is being pushed to ban the payment of cyber ransoms, usually demanded in cryptocurrency, following a local business suffering a mass data breach and subsequent ransom demand.

formatting link

Reply to
The Telecom Digest
Loading thread data ...

Am 12.04.2023 um 13:47:35 Uhr schrieb The Telecom Digest:

I think this is a good idea. Paying the attackers [just] makes this attacking method lucrative.

Reply to
Marco Moock

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 04:29:43PM +0200, Marco Moock wrote:

In the early days of the PC revolution, when the machines were being introduced into schools, I met an "IT" guy who complained about the "unbelieveable" number of viruses that the PC's were picking up. I offered to solve the problem, and I changed all the PC's in the "Computer Lab" over to BOOtP operaton, so that they would download their operating system from the lab's server instead of their own hard drives. I removed the OS from the hard drives to prevent any attempt to bypass the BOOTP startup, and set each BIOS to require a password in order to change the boot options. After that, I told the teachers whom were using the computer lab that when a student complained of a virus or other mysterious problems, to "Just tell the student to stop doing whatever he was doing before," and to confiscate whatever floppy disk was in the PC, and then turn that student's PC off and back on again, so that it would reload the OS from the server. After I cashed the check, I got the teachers together again, and told them that their students had been deliberately bringing infected disks into their lab to avoid the hard work of learning how to use the programs they were being asked to study. The teachers decided that, from then on, they would destroy any floppy disks that were in the PC's where an infection was found. One of them suggested using scissors to cut open the flppy disks and discarding the pieces while the entire class watched (this was when 5.25 inch floppy disks were being used). A few parents complained, the teachers told me later, but they would always back off when they were told that the floppy disks were evidence of a crime, and that the teachers were destroying them to save their students from getting a criminal record. Remove the reward, obviate the risk.

Bill Horne

Reply to
Bill Horne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.