Expensive Cell Phone Rates

I was thinking about upgrading my ancient cell phone, but I am put off by the high monthly rates. I'd end up paying double for less service.

My present plan is $20/month with 200 free offpeak minutes. Perfect for me.

A new plan would require buying a new telephone set with many features I don't need nor want and then paying $40 per month to get about the same amount of free airtime. The only advtg would be that peak time and roaming would be cheaper than now, but I don't use the phone during peak time nor roam now.

Further, their definitions of "roaming" seem very vague. They (all the carriers) give you a map with a solid color, a pale color and white. The solid color apparently is full service, but not guaranteed since it may be through another contracted party. That in itself is confusing. The pale color is particular confusing.

I was surprised at the many white spots (no service) in reasonably developed areas.

Apparently one still needs a dual mode phone that can do analog as well as digital since not areas have working digital and you need analog. That troubles me since I'm most likely to need my cell phone work when I'm in an isolated area (ie a car breakdown in a rural location). I thought by now all reasonably developed areas of the U.S. were fully digitally served.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I use Cingular Wireless, and am on the $29.95 per month plan with about 400 daytime minutes and more than I would ever use nighttime minutes. The important thing is get the 'rollover' plan where unused minutes keep stacking up until you use them. If you can find a 'GAIT' style phone, literally the entire USA is covered with no roaming fees nor long distance fees. PAT]
Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.