Developer to Raze Bell Labs Holmdel Facility

Developer to raze Bell Labs Holmdel facility, birthplace of the cellphone.

Engadget July 5, 2006

The facility in question, one time Holmdel, New Jersey home to Bell Labs -- one of the most prolific technology innovators of the 20th century -- was owned by Lucent technologies until a recent round of asset liquidations. Barely 40 miles out of New York City, in its heydey the six-story, two million square foot campus, employed over

5,600 people who toiled away in its bowels; it became home to the work of numerous Nobel laureates, and has long since been cemented in the annals of tech history as the birthplace to some of the most important communications technologies ever conceived. And it'll soon be torn down.

Full article:

formatting link
Back in my college days in Ann Arbor in the '60s, I once wrote a term paper about Eero Saarinen, the architect. Here are links to two publicity photos that the Bell Labs PR folks sent to me at the time:
formatting link
I've been told that the water tower is supposed to look like a transistor, but I think that's sort of stretching the imagination...

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.