Death of the text? Mobile phone users turn to free instant messaging as electronic communication of choice [telecom]

Mobile text messaging could become extinct within a generation as millions of young people turn to other forms of electronic communication.

Teenagers are increasingly using instant messaging from mobile phones and social networking sites such as Facebook.

Experts predict the amount of texts sent in the UK will drop by 20 per cent in the next two years.

It comes as teenagers and students are increasingly using BlackBerrys instead of iPhones and other smartphones because the device has a free BBM messenger.

Read more here:

formatting link
Submitters note: Blackberry? Really?

Reply to
John Mayson
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Exactly, and if you are going to rely on any Smartphone there is also this free (almost instant) messaging system called "e-mail".

Reply to
David Clayton

formatting link
>

And those nice people at Hutchison 3G continue to allow their users* to use Skype voice calling and Skype instant messaging without ever needing to top up their PAYG accounts.

*I can hardly use the word 'subscriber' if they never need to subscribe.
Reply to
Graham.

Moderator, my post a few minutes ago about Hutchison 3G was United Kingdom specific and won't make much sense here.

Carry it or delete it, it's your call!

I thought I was posting to uk.telecom.mobile :-)

Reply to
Graham.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.