Access Recovery Charge [telecom]

Having just received a bill in which CenturyLink (motto: "proving Qwest wasn't so bad after all") raises my Access Recovery Charge, I started to wonder. The bill says the charges are "to recover costs of providing access to the telephone network". Since I do not receive any telephone service from CenturyLink (only DSL, a non-regulated service), or the "telephone network" (aside from the copper from my house back to the pedestal 2 blocks away) should I be subject to this charge?

Google finds FCC filings and rulings regarding the Access Recovery Charge, so is this actually a federally regulated thing (and not just another BS "extra charge for being alive")? And if so, should I be charged it, since I'm not using the switched telephone network?

Reply to
Dave Garland
Loading thread data ...

The price of DSL is not regulated. So they can charge whatever they want, consistent with ordinary contract and fraud law of course.

"Access" generally covers the cost of the wire, not the switched network that the wire is going to, so not being a switched telephone service, or not making LD calls, doesn't impact it. Access recovery charges are allowed on some telephone bills, where they are regulated, because part of the cost of phone service is in interstate jurisdiction, and the FCC sets those prices.

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

Like most of the fees and other 'taxes' on our phone bills this is just a money grab by the incumbent telco.

It's why I ditched even Vonage - they were getting ridiculous on the fees. And I'm still getting email from them asking me to come back. Yeah, right.

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.