Law Suit in NJ

Since it talks about $4.5 million, the case went to a verdict. I'm guessing it went something like this. Alarm company either admits being negligent, or is found to be negligent after a trial. Alarm company then says, "Who should we make our $500 check out to?" Other side then presents some kind of legal argument to the judge on why the limitation of liability provisions shouldn't apply. The judge likes the argument, declares those contract provisions invalid, and enters judgment for the full amount awarded during the trial.

Lawyers keep finding new loopholes. There have been previous cases in New Jersey upholding the limitation of liability provisions in alarm contracts, except in cases of "willful and wanton misconduct." So, either this judge just didn't follow the law, or the alarm company did something exceptionally bad, or some lawyer figured out a new reason why the limitation of liability shouldn't be enforced. I'm very interested to see why this case came out the way it did, but the judge's opinion doesn't seem to be available online.

This is only the opinion of one trial court. It doesn't have any value as precedent. Only appellate decisions are good for that.

I checked Kirschenbaum's website, and surprisingly, there isn't any info on this case.

You're well connected in the industry. Let us know what you can find out.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio
Loading thread data ...

90 volts was for telco pussies. Real alarm systems used 120VAC for ringing voltage. But it was the 130VDC that would get your attention.

By the way, that tended to minimize bad connections. :-)

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Stand By- Ken is reviewing the Case.

Reply to
secure15

Reply to
Roland

Reply to
Roland

No, just wake up the technician.

Funny but on those systems the "control" was actually at the central station, not at the customer end. At the customer end there were very small boxes, that had no keypad or key switch. Just a knob that said day and night with a ring back button. Most of those I saw were old enough that the original installer rode a horse to over to do the installation. The idea was a current matching device like on movies showing ships from World War I where you have stop, full speed, half speed and such matching the pilot house to engine room. So like the ship if the customer was in day, central in went to day and vice versa, just like the ship.

Reply to
Roland

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.