Calling Any and All High-Tech Criminals

I would like to chat via e-mail or phone with any high-tech criminal who has, or knows how to successfully substitute a biometric credential for the proper one stored on a smart card for physical or logical access to a variety of concerns, such as ATMs, computer networks, and hard assets. No bloody need to reveal your identity (of course) as I do not have any interest in compromising your identity.

My e-mail to use for this project is snipped-for-privacy@tpromo.com and my cell number can be obtained from my web site at

formatting link
if you look on a bit.

Kind Regards,

Al Colombo, trade journalist

Reply to
Al Colombo
Loading thread data ...

Al, ya gotta be kidding .......Right?

Oh, and by the way, how high tech is it to cut off someones finger, hand or pop out their eye, in order to gain entry to some vital area?

Reply to
Jim

Hi Jim. Actually, the manufacturers of these biometric devices say that to cut out an eye or off with a finger would not work. In very short order the physical characteristics of the removed eye or finger would change because there is no more blood, no more blood pressure, and thus it would be highly unlikely that the reader could identify it because the physical attributes have been altered greatly. Now, when they go to a genetic identifier, perhaps we could have a problem. I'm sure they'll have to deal with that as well if these goodies are going to become mainstream one day.

Reply to
Al Colombo

Thats probably not much comfort to the victim, especially if the criminal decides to gouge the other eye out or hack another finger off for a second attempt.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Almost all biometric systems now also detect the heat of the organ measured. If you chop off a finger, or pop out an eye ball the device will not detect heat from the organ and will not give access anyway.

Just for your information...

Reply to
Okitoki

Well, I've certainly not even investigated Bio access equipment, but I'd suggest that they would deny that the use of an amputated body part, would work even if they didn't actually "know" it wouldn't work.

Yet ....... they can't make finger print ID work if there's bright sun light around. So, these devices are smart enough to tell when someone finger is cut off but not smart enough to recognize a finger print if the sun is too bright ........ Yeup ... Uh huh!

Reply to
Jim

So I'll carry it to the reader in my arm pit, just to keep it warm.

So lets' see. All we need is a bio reader and a volunteer with excess appendages, to do the experiment.

Reply to
Jim

Count me out. I know which "appendage" my wife considers "excess"... I "think" with it all the time and just can't bear the thought of losin' it... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

I used to have a paper on how to make the fake jello fingerprints, but I can't find it. Perhaps this will be of some interest.

formatting link
On a side note: I worked for a large security firm, who had us "sign-in" with finger prints. You would type in the last four of your ss# and then present your thumb. I noticed after playing with the unit, that you could submit your "bird" finger and still get a proper read. Sometimes this took 2 or 3 tries, but worked on the first try 70% of the time.

KM

Reply to
Karl Magnus

formatting link

That's more like what I've been hearing about bio ID. Sometimes it works, but it's not fool proof and you can't predict the results 100% So when someone says that a cut off finger doesn't work, that may just mean it wont work the first few times. Besides, what user wants to take the chance anyway.

The other bio ID I get a kick out of is the iris ID. So you take your new employee and you bring him up to this machine and you tell them ......

"OK ... stick you eye right here against this little hole and we're gonna shine a laser into it so we can tell if it's you or not." New employee steps up to the machine, grabs his new boss by the testicles and the boss says "What the hell you think your doing?" Employee says: " Just tryin ta make sure we're not gonna hurt each other."

Reply to
Jim

For sure :-), but it's information that should will hopefully discourage would-be "eye gougers" and "finger snippers" so they don't try this sort of thing. The bottom line is, don't try that at home, or even at the office.

Besides that, it's not acceptable behavior in a civilized society (and if you find one of those laying around, please let me know where it is so I can pay a long visit there!).

Al

Reply to
Al Colombo

Thank you, good point.

Reply to
Al Colombo

Don't look at me!! :-)

Reply to
Al Colombo

Hey, thanks for the link, and on the dual finger deal, perhaps you have a twin inside there somewhere :-)

Reply to
Al Colombo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.