Plasma TVs will play at least 100.000 hours

Panasonic one of the leading manufacturers of Plasma TVs, today announced that its rating its best-selling line of 1080p Plasma HDTVs to play for

100,000 hours before reaching half brightness.

formatting link
Based upon average daily viewing time of 6 1/2 hours, Panasonic 1080p Plasma HDTVs could on average take more than 42 years before they reach half of their original brightness level.

Reply to
HD Freak
Loading thread data ...

Sure, and if you swallow my load, I'll swallow yours.

Reply to
Finest Quality Squack

formatting link

That's great - we can now all enjoy burnt in dogs/logos at full brightness for the next 42 years.

Reply to
Icky Thwacket

formatting link
>

Reply to
Art

Ok, I'll translate:

Based on looking a random material, a Panasonic plasma will reach half brightness at 100,000 hours.

OK, that means that looking at part of a logo, bug, or banner at full brightness, they will, at best, fall to half brightness in about 20,000 hours (because they are probably assuming an 18% gray average).

Assuming a linear fate of burn, that means that you will get a very visible

5% burn difference between a bright bug and black bars in 1/10 of 20,000 hours or 2000 hours. That sounds about right for a type of set that has known burn-in problems.

Doug McDonald

Reply to
Doug McDonald

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.