Is there a simple way to switch between cable and over the air signals

I am a newbie with a new Panasonic plasma HDTV, and have not yet requested a set top hdtv cable box from Comcast. For the time being I am considering using over the air hdtv via an antenna for my hdtv programs and Comcast cable for standard broadcast programming.

Is there something out there similar to the old A/B switches that one used years ago to change signal sources. Moving the tv stand to access the rear of the tv is a major undertaking.

Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.

Frank

Reply to
ECLiPSE 2002
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Think your set has OTA RF coax connector which will feed the built-in tuner and component, HDMI ports for STB. These input selection is via remotel control. Read the manual? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks for the response Tony, I will reread the manual to see if I missed the use of the remote to switch from OTA HD to cable standard broadcast. My set has a HMDI input and 2 component inputs but only one antenna/cable input which I am currently using for my Comcast digital box connection.

Frank

to >ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:

Reply to
ECLiPSE 2002

You should be able to switch between them easily via your remote.

Reply to
L Alpert

Hmm, I can do that with mine ;-) ....(2 ATSC QAM compatible tuners).

Reply to
L Alpert

I don't think so. He is saying that he only has one coaxial input on the TV, and he runs his cable TV in through that coaxial already, and he also wants to run an OTA antenna in through that same coaxial input. His remote isn't going to let him make that switch...... LOL

Just wait for the HDTV box, and if Comcast doesn't get it to you soon enough, switch to satellite and never look back.

Reply to
Robin

Does your digital box have component out? If so, connect that to component in on your tv, and use coax in for antenna.

If that isn't viable, check MCM electronics, they have all types of switchers:

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Franks

for best picture quality you want to be using your component out on your digital box (I know my digital box had it, even before I upgraded to the HDTV box with DVR) it will be a big improvement. but in the mean time, I'm thinking radio shack might have something that will switch between the 2 (not 100% sure) I can't think of anywhere else that would carry somethign like that. What you should do is go to your local place and switch out the box (Cox let me do this) if they won't make an appoitment to upgrade to and HDTV box. (while your at it i'd highly recommend the DVR, it's intigrated into your cable box and makes watching your favorite shows so much more convient, also great for rewinding plays on your favorite sport events)

-Nick

Reply to
Dr Nick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.