budget 7.1 reciever recomendations

I'm looking for some recomendations for a 7.1 reciever, I have a 5.0 infinity sound system (no sub) not sure whihc model they are, they are all the same size speaker (about 4 inches wide, 8 inches tall and mabye about 4 inches deep) I still need ot buy a powered subwoofer, and already have 2 in cieling speakers installed (will probably switch these out later on) I'm looking for a decent 7.1 reciever that has component video switching, and a few fiber optic audio inputs (for ps2 and Xbox) I don't believe I need a ton of power for these, just looking for somethign decent under 300 bucks if possible, can I get some ideas from anyone? I watch a lot of movies and also play video games and watch regular TV, so it's sort of an all around theater I'm going for. thanks!

-nick

Reply to
Dr Nick
Loading thread data ...

Here you go. Your not likely to find better under a grand:

formatting link

Reply to
Jack Dotson

Whoops, just made a post recommending the Outlaw, should have read further as it's not within your budget. Sorry.

Reply to
Jack Dotson

Hi, Can't go wrong with Yamaha. I always liked Yamaha product. My main receiver now is RX-V2500 with mid size Infinity speaker package. eBay has some good selection of smaller/bit older model for that price range. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

haha, no problem, I appreciate the effort. any idea what is decent in my budget? I'm not looking for anything crazy, and it could be a year old or so or could be a refurb, as long as it's 7.1, has component switching and easy to use woudl be nice (but not 100% as I'm pretty handy with electronics) also auto calibration would eb nice, although I know I'm pushing it in this budget. any ideas on some models, or brands? or at least some good sites that review A/V recievers? thanks!

-Nick

Reply to
Dr Nick

Hi, Is there a particular reason it has to be 7.1 receiver? eBay has many choices. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Take a look at the Pioneer VSX-915 - available on ebay for $295. I have it's older brother (VSX 912) and it's been very good for a number of years. I really like the automatic room adjustments for the speaker location and size - works like a charm. Just hold the microphone at the listening position and press a few buttons on the remote. It does its thing and set all of the levels.

Reply to
yustr

well, I have 4 speakers in the wall already and 2 speakers in the cieling, so all I need to do is add the center channel I already have and I've got a

7.1, it's basicaly already set up for it. is there any reason to NOT go 7.1?
Reply to
Dr Nick

Hi, No. From my experience, unless your room is BIG, between 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, even 9.1 does not make a big difference. Aalso bigger room needs higher power amp as well. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

ok, I found a few good recievers that I've narrowed it down to. the pioneer VSX-815, the Denon AVR-1506 and the onkyo TX-SR573. all are 7.1, and all are in my price range (can find all of them for 300 or less) are any of these companys better than the other in build quality? woudl you recommend one over the others? thanks!

-Nick

Reply to
Nick Vital

I'm sure any of them will serve your needs well.

Denon specializes in components and makes a very good product. My son has had a similar Onkyo for years and plays it fairly loud with no problems. As I said, I've had a Pioneer for about 4 years and its been flawless.

I don't think there's enough of a difference at this price point - especially with your inwall speakers - to make one much better than the others. (The Pioneer does have the automatic level setting feature that I mentioned but I wouldn't choose on that alone - even though it is very cool.)

Reply to
yustr

Your probably right, I remember being a LOT more critical when setting up my dads home theater (he went with a pioneer elite, not sure of the model number, it was a 7.1 with an MSRP of around 3,000, and the sound is amazing, with all of its features it's a little overwhelming at first haha) but back at this price point should I look for anythign spacific (besides the features I want) Someone mentioned to me getting one wiht digital channcles as opposed to discrete channels, but I have no idea what that means, haha.

Reply to
Nick Vital

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.