Z-Wave, an interesting note

Right now another gentleman (also a David but not ours :-), the author of the Misterhouse Perl module, and I are playing with the Levition Vizia RS232 interface. What I noticed was that the Intermatic Z-Wave module I'm using needs to be polled to find out there have been any changes to the module such as a command sent by a remote. David has found that the Vizia modules report changes unlike the Intermatic modules. That's very interesting. I don't know what remote(s) he has/may have but I'll ask.

Reply to
Neil Cherry
Loading thread data ...

Lutron says the two-way RF operation of the Vizia dimmers infringes on their patents and is one of the reasons Lutron sued Leviton.

formatting link

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Oh, that's not nice. Looks like Z-Wave is in for some trouble. Too bad I was hoping for a wide range of products for the DIY community to challenge X10 and each other.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

formatting link
>
formatting link

It looks like it will also be a problem for everyone using two-way RF from switches or even in j-boxes, including those using Zigbee (e.g. Control4). Of course, they can always pay Lutron a license fee. Or they might win in court but either way adds cost. Smarthome's approach seems to avoid the patents. I'm not sure about C-Bus. I played with one of their remotes and a dimmer switch. It was definitely two-way RF but I don't recall if that was only during the setup/linking process (querying the switch for its ID) or whether it reported status in normal operation which would seem to run afoul of Lutron.

Whatever happens with the patent suits, it's likely to drive up prices. Even Smarthome, while not directly affected will have room to raise prices and still stay competitive.

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

formatting link
>

formatting link

The news is that Leviton and Lutron have already settled the parts of the trademark and patent lawsuit dealing with the two-way RF control in Vizia, Vizia-RF, Acenti, and IlluminEssence = Monster) lines. Leviton has agreed to pay a licensing fee.

formatting link

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

This is actually good for both sides. Lutron will make a bundle on licensing fees, at least until the competition comes up with a modification that avoids the patent issues, and the rest will go forward developing Z-Wave. For consumers it will likely mean a small bump in per unit cost. As Leviton's rep put it, "Infringement on some of the accused products is regretful, but was clearly inadvertent and not willful. This settlement will allow both companies to get back to business serving their respective customer bases and expanding the market for lighting controls."

For those of us in the trade who market Z-Wave along with other lighting controls, there will be a wider variety of goods and services to offer.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

what trade is that?

Reply to
socko

The bullshit trade.

Reply to
Frank Olson

online selling of equipment that he never ever touched..

Reply to
Petem

Blow up dolls, Tin Foil hats, and Hillary's fluffer.

Reply to
Enigma

You forget "saltwater lures"...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.