What happened to WGL Designs? (wgldesigns.com)- the RAIN8 site?

Hello. Last year I was looking at the RAIN8-PC sprinkler controller at wgldesigns.com. Now that my current sprinkler controller is dead I had planned on ordering one. However, when I go to wgldesigns.com the site doesn't appear to be there. Does anyone know if the company is still around?

Also, assuming they are and that I can get a RAIN8, I have a question. I noticed a few posts about problems with certain sprinkler solenoids due to the RAIN8 using a triac and therefore only having 500 milliamps available. I have a sprinkler system that was put in around 986 I think so it's definitely not the latest. Any opinions on whether I'll have to replace all my solenoids if I go with a RAIN8?

Thanks. Bill

Reply to
mcbill20
Loading thread data ...

Maybe it was a temporary problem.

formatting link
seems to be working fine.

From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
BruceR

Yep, they only handle 500ma roughly and you can also zap them with static. I've got one channel on mine that I can't use now and my last email to them about getting the unit RMA'd didn't get a reply.

Probably the only way you're going to tell for sure is to put an ampmeter inline with the solenoid and actually see what it draws using your current controller. Test each one, I saw some pretty good variation from one solenoid to another in my system and they were all the same brand, installed at the same time.

Reply to
Brian W. Antoine

Thanks. There definitely seems to be a problem with the site though. I still can't get to it through HTTP. The DNSlookup comes up with

64.17.184.157 but something is hanging along the way. Here's the output from a traceroute:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\\>nslookup Default Server: a.dcx.mho.net Address: 64.58.4.2

Server: a.dcx.mho.net Address: 64.58.4.2

Non-authoritative answer: Name:

formatting link
Address: 64.17.184.157

C:\\>tracert 64.17.184.157

Tracing route to 64.17.184.157 over a maximum of 30 hops

Reply to
mcbill20

Thanks. BTW, would you recommend this controller? If not, does anyone know of another RS-232 sprinkler that is decent? (I definitely don't want to use X-10, only serial control).

Thanks. Bill

Reply to
mcbill20

When I click the link the site comes up instantly but a tracert gives the same timeout result as you got. Go figure.

From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
BruceR

traceroutes depend on ICMP traffic being returned properly. If the upstream router isn't configured to provide them then traces won't work properly. There is a 'tpctraceroute' that will use regular TCP packets.

The site comes up fine from here in DC via Speakeasy's DSL network. Which, BTW, if you're looking for a very competent ISP these are the folks to use.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

On Thu, 26 May 2005 03:39:01 GMT, "BruceR" wrote (with possible editing):

That probably means there is a cache somewhere. The tracert indicates a problem at the last site which produced a result (208.44.62.29). The OP should notify his ISP.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.