Shopping List

I want to add a bar code scanner under the cabinet, so to scan the milk jug or whatever when it's low. That item should be looked up and identified, and automatically added to the Shopping List. The shopping list may optionally be transmitted at some interval to a vendor for fullfillment.

Anybody heard of this? Anybody want to build it?

Reply to
Dandelion Acres
Loading thread data ...

Something like this?

formatting link
Brad H

Reply to
Brad Houser

There have been several threads on this topic over the last few years. Most people seem to be using either a CueCat (search Google and eBay) or a regular bar code scanner that plugs into your keyboard or USB port.

As far as a UPC database, your best bet is probably to just teach to system as you go, or do a big sweep through your pantry one time. From then on, when the scanner comes across something it doesn't recognize, the computer would beep at you and ask you to enter a description.

Reply to
Chuck

Brad,

That looks interesting, but I noticed this message on their "Try It Now" page:

*** Sorry, we no longer sell Beeline Shopper Kits ***

I'd like to get a scanner, if there was a published protocol for downloading scanned barcodes from it (using my own software).

Eric

Reply to
eschuylerTAKE

Cue Cat and HomeSeer (prob. over kill on software)

Several people do this already. Some have gotten better scanners off eBay old retail and ditched cue cat.

Reply to
Brian

"Brad Houser" wrote in news:d3p2bv$d44$1 @news01.intel.com:

There is an option to replace stuff on your list with "Beeline's Suggestion". Sorta scary ... seems like beeline has a lot of partnership, and who knows if their suggetion is really the best suggestion ; )

Reply to
Lucas Tam

I use the Symbol SPT1500 unit. It is a regular PALM OS system with a built in bar scanner. It reads just about every style of bar coding including postal zip codes.

OnHand Software is available from Stevens Creek

I have a couple extra SPT1500 scanners for anyone that is looking for them. $95 including the software.

Reply to
Don

Try this one:

formatting link

Reply to
Russ Zaccari

Reply to
Chuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.