RS-232 Programming Russound CAV6.6 - Target Path?

Hi there, I'm about to be the owner of a CAV66 that I will be controlling from my computer. I'm writing a library to control it (in Ruby, for those who care), but the RNET RS-232 protocol PDF that Russound offers on their website seems to be a little short on details.

Specifically, what are bytes 9-12 as listed in the samples at the end of the PDF, and as detailed in a couple byte-by-byte break downs of example packets?

For these bytes, one of the breakdowns says: Value Field Description

02 Target Path, Num Levels 02 Target Path, Level 1 Root Menu 00 Target Path, Level 2 Run Menu 00 Source Path, Num Levels No Source Path is used

I assume that the "Num Levels" byte indicates how many following bytes will be used, but I can't see anything in the spec that explains what the various "levels" are, or when they should be used. "Root Menu"? "Run Menu"? Is this a tree hierarchy of commands that sets a state for the processing, or something?

I've written to Russound Tech Support, but so far they've just said "Our documentation is complete; hex programming is hard. Most people use the examples at the end of the document." Unfortunately, various examples use different values for these bytes, and I'd like to know what they mean.

Does anyone have a deeper insight on this spec?

If not, does anyone know of any open-source code others have written (in any language, really) for working with the Russound RNET packet protocol?

Reply to
Phrogz
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.