Photosensor Search Help

Hello all,

I have a customer that has a controller that uses a remote photosensor to determine if the sun it up or down. Simple enough but the photosensor has seen better days.

Here is my problem. I need a source on just the sensor. I first thought that the RatShack would be a good possibility but nooooooooooooo. They have decided at the corporate level to now have candy bars on the shelf rather than electronic components. Gotta keep those shelves full of something. Boggles the mind????

Anyhow does anyone know of a source that will sell 1's or 2's of a component???????

I know that this is going to be tough since the shipping is going to just kill me.

I could purchase a dusk-dawn sensor for a HPS 277v fixture and cannibalize it, but that may be taking this a bit over the edge.

Any thoughts from the masses???

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1
Loading thread data ...

Do you have the part #/specs for the photo sensor? There are many different types, with different resistances, and some that get more "resistive" when the light increases, and some that get less..

Fry's electronics might have a part that works, or some other "electronic parts" place in the yellow pages. Another option might be (if you know the manufacturer), you might be able to request a "sample".

worst case would be someplace like Mouser or Newark, but the shipp> Hello all,

Reply to
J Miller

The biggest problem is the manufacture of unit that it is connected to is no more and there are no specs in the documentation. So I kinda have to wing it and hope I get lucky.

FWIW the controller was made by Wadsworth Electronics and was call the SIMON Home and Building Controller. As I have figured out they have been out of business for a number of years. I think the resistance value goes high when it is dark and low when light. But at this point I will take anything just to see what happens.

Thanks for the supplier names that will be a help. Newark is the one I just could not remember.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

The X10 Sundowner SD533 may help out.

Reply to
BruceR

cannibalize

Actually, Radio Shack still does sell five packs of CdS photoresistors (in my experience the mostly commonly used "photosensor" in legacy hardware) for $2.95.

They are in stock

formatting link
Model: 276-1657 Catalog #: 276-1657

A call to the local RS store or 800-843-7422 (= 800-THE-SHACK) prominently displayed at

formatting link
might provide information on stores that still stock electronic parts and(or) how to obtain them by mail-order. I speculate that your local store can 'get it in' for you if you ask.

HTH ... Marc

Marc_F_Hult

formatting link
Visit my Home Automation and Electronics Porch Sale at
formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

When I put in my zip code in the 'store-finder' on the same web page as the part as cited in my post above, ten stores within nine miles of my house popped up as having them in stock.

... Marc

Marc_F_Hult>

formatting link
Visit my Home Automation and Electronics Porch Sale at
formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Did the same and the store that I was at listed them as in stock. Idiots!!!!!!

Reply to
ABLE_1

Hmmm, try a combo of decaf and a phone call. ;)

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Did you look for the drawers of parts at the back of the Radio Shack store. Instead of taking up massive amounts of pegboard space for things that sell rarely, they have put them in cabinets which are actually easier to find things in.

You have to face it, very few people know what to do with the small parts and Radio Shack would be out of business if they tried to make that the main part of the store.

Digi-Key is a mail order place sells in small quantities.

formatting link

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Yes that was the first place I looked. Da nada!!!

Reply to
ABLE_1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.