OT - Good forum for questions on surround sound speakers?

Can people identify a forum for good information about placement of surround sound speakers in a room?

Not a fancy system. I really DO NOT want BS from people who are convinced that turning the wire around will change the sound or who are into litz wire for it's supposed improvements.

The room is far less than optimal. There is a lack of space behind to listening position to position two sets of speakers for a 7.1 system. The rear side speakers could be mounted straight out at the side, either at ear level or at a higher position. The rear central speakers would be uncomfortably close to the heads if mounted at ear level.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann
Loading thread data ...

The AVS forums are probably the only place with a wide enough range of participants to get worthwhile answers. Given the number of variables, however, it's hard to say exactly where will work.

In my setup I pulled the wires with about 6' of slack. Then I moved them around over an area 4' from where I expected they'd work. The front speakers ended up being better off about 2 feet lower than I expected (about

3' off the floor not 5'. My center speaker seems to work OK directly under the TV itself but some prefer it above the screen. The subwoofer ended up working better about half-way between the seating and the screen along the left-hand wall, about 2' further back than I'd expected. The rears are somewhat problematic in that I'd like to put them lower but there's not yet a wall there for them. So they're on the ceiling about 2' behind the seating. I followed the usual rules of speaker placement but ended up having to tweak them a fair amount based on actual room conditions and listening desires.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

In general, the front speaker will be ideal at ear level. The center ideally be behind a perforated screen, otherwise you can use either the TV's speakers if they are decent quality, or place the center channel above or below the TV. Ideally as close to the TV as possible.

The Left and Right Front speakers, will be to the side of the TV. Try to stay within 30-45 degree offset from the listening position. The speakers should be equal distance apart from the TV, but try to stay at least 6" from the side walls.

The rear channel speakers are less critical than the front speaker. Try to place them so they fire to the listening position. The biggest concern you want is the distance from the listening position is equal for the pair.

Reply to
Brett Griffin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.