Need Advice on Video Problem!

Hi,

My video system at home consists of an Open House 3-in, 8-out video distribution module that feeds various rooms throughout the house.

Problem:

On the video feed to our family room TV, channels 2-6 are very noisy with snow. Channel 8 looks to have a 60Hz beat or waviness to the video. Channel 7 and all of the other channels (through 80 something) look fine.

I've hooked a TV directly to the output of the distribution module and the video quality coming out of the module is just fine. TV in all the

other rooms looks fine too.

I replaced the connectors on both ends of the cable but the problem did

not go away. Replacing the cable is not a solution as it is all buried in the walls.

What would cause poor video on these low channels (2-6) and the interference on ch 8? Could a bad cable cause this?

If anyone has some suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jerry
Loading thread data ...

If the same TV looks good connected to the same splitter output with a short cable then the problem is most likely a bad piece of cable. Maybe a staple or nail punctured it during construction. If you tested with a different TV, test the cable with that one instead of the one already in place. It could be a problem with the TV but I suspect that it's the cable since you've already replaced the connectors. You can test the cable, by putting a terminator on one end and then using a multimeter on the other end. You should see approx 75 ohms. If the cable is bad, check from both ends as far as you can. If the problem isn't visible you'll have to replace it which could be a PITA. Also, if your set has it, try different settings for CATV operation.

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.