ICON line of Insteon, no more?

Is the lower-priced ICON line of wall relay and dimmer switches discontinued? The web site is not showing them when I search for Icon switch model numbers. I have about 40 of them in my home, was there a problem with them? I'm a little worried seeing that they are not on the site, I'm looking for models 2876S and 2876D to order a couple more.

Does anybody know whats up? I got no response from Smarthome for a week now, unusual for them to be so unresponsive.

Reply to
RickH
Loading thread data ...

I believe they are discontinued but you might find dealers who still have stock. Google using "Insteon 2876S 2876D".

I th>Is the lower-priced ICON line of wall relay and dimmer switches

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks, thats a relief and seems like the reason. Looking/comparing through the clear cases at the PC boards, the manufactuer seemed to be identical to the full-blown versions. So quality was probably the same but with fewer features and less robust triac/relay. But the savings of a smaller relay and triac probably was not proportional to the $15-$20 cheaper price, cutting their profit.

Reply to
RickH

formatting link
> snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

One week and counting, Smarthome still has not responded to my queries on the status of ICON switches. My post keeps going into "Escalated" status periodically on the web page, so I know they read the darn thing. But still no response, maybe they are deciding now to order more or discontinue them, so waiting to not answer me. I just wound up buying regular Insteon instead for these last few circuits.

Reply to
RickH

My response from SH is that the ICON line was discontinued due to poor sales. My old switches are fully warrented and any that fail will be replaced with the current non-ICON branded ones.

I did have a relay fuse together on one of them, but that is probably my own fault because I exceeded the wattage of the ICON relay by about

20 watts and it welded the relay contacts "on" permanently. They are replacing it for me, as there was confusion over if the ICON relays were rated for 300 or 480 watts. This is the only failure I have had with about 40 to 50 switches. The regular switches are rated 480 watts, I dont know why they just dont put 600 watt relays in all of them.
Reply to
RickH

formatting link
> snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com- Hide quoted text -

With the low price and small margins, they needed high sales volume to make a profit. The collapse of new construction (down 25% nationally, worse in California) probably hurt their marketing plan.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

After they doubled the price, I'm not surprised sales died.

Reply to
Brian W. Antoine

So I know this thread is like 13 years old...

I think when they moved their assembly line to china and the quality dropped through the floor, that is what killed them.

Reply to
Doug Rooney

They also seem to have gotten into a pissing match with China, hence the lack of stock for the last year or two. I've been slowly changing over to newer gear and waiting for the green light on the hub to go red and stay that way when they shut off the servers.

Reply to
Brian W. Antoine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.