Computer interface CM12U Relpacement

CM12 is an entry level X10 computer interface. The fact that in your case, the controller is burning should be investigate. This is not one of the "common reliability problem" of CM11 or 12 related on this site. I fear that something in your installation is wrong. Maybe is the interface in a too warm area (CM12 overheating is well known), or exposed to oversurge.

If you are not afraid of purchasing and using US device (with a 240V, 110V adaptor and the required transformation to allow X10 signal crossing), the smarthome product seems to be more reliable than CM12 (this solution will not operate on triphases installation).

formatting link
A user forum is also available at :

formatting link
(this device is related at 1132C or CU)

For me, the best affortable choice (but still 5x for expensive than the CM12), is the Ocelot controller. It's true that you are no more in the entry level segment. It's a true controller which could be expanded (switch, input, voice, temperature, serial) and includes conditional macro. Take care that an additional device should be purchased to interface it with powerline (XM10U) More info are available :

formatting link
4 years, I never encountered any reliability issue.

A user forum is also available at :

formatting link
Hope it helps

Thierry

Reply to
Thierry PARENT
Loading thread data ...

I've found the CM12u the UK version of the X10 computer control interface to be somewhat unrelaible. I've now had two of them break in two years with a nice burnt out components smell.

I'm loathe to buy yet another. Is there anything else I can use as an alterative to the CM12 to control my X10 sytem that is avialable in the UK?

Reply to
Beachcomber

Some people get along fine without timers. It just depends on what you want the system to do.

I'd be pretty worried that your third CM12 will smoke as well. While it's probably a good idea to search out the cause I would consider fitting at least a passive cooling sink and maybe even a fan to the unit so that it got good airflow. Are you on a two or three phase system. From what I was just reading the new and ubiquitous switching power supplies can cause some serious issues with transformers and the components that use them. Not sure if any of that concerns you, though.

It's a shame, and I wonder whether it's just a perfect example of "economies of scale" in the manufacturing or market process or whether more complex forces are conspiring against you. It seems like a fair number EU members don't think much of many of the new EU rules. The cost of engineering for the higher voltages can't really account for the 3X price boost, given that end-users convert 110 VAC X-10 modules all the time.

It may simply be that there's no incentive to design for a market that has so many different plug variations. There was an interesting map just publishing in the US edition of National Geographic describing all of the technical differences between European countries.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Thank you for your response. I ordered yet another CM12 as an X10 system without timers is a complete was of money. I will make a note of the PowerLinc Controller and when I need another (as I'm sure I will in 12 months time) that will be the device to try next.

X10 is is just not supported well here in the UK - yes we have a couple of excellent suppliers but the prices are double to 3 times the cost in the USA. Its a great shame as it stops the market growing.

Thanks again for the advice.

Reply to
Beachcomber

Hi Beachcomber,

I have been talking with SimplyAutomate.co.uk recently. They have always been aware of the CM12 problems. They have now started to supply a product which they have designed and built themselves. They claim that it works much better than the original X10 module.

Reply to
Trevor Daniel

Thanks Trev

I had a look on

formatting link
and could only see the standard X10 controllers. Are they actually selling their controller at present?

Reply to
Beachcomber

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.