VPN, NAT router recommendations ?

My apologies that this is not about "real" firewalls, but I trust you guys more than a regular networking group.

We are currently running an older version of Kerio's firewall software on a PC and rather than buying a new version I would prefer replacing the PC with a hardware solution to give some protection to our 10 desktops. What I am looking for is a router that supports NAT and VPN, but also has extensive filtering capabilities, similar to what you'd find with iptables or Kerio. Most Linksys, D-Links, etc. seem to only filter by incoming port number which is too limited. Any recommendations, reviews, etc. ?

- Marco

Reply to
grubertm
Loading thread data ...

"grubertm" wrote in news:1129688243.189287.28220 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I use a low-end WatchGuard Firebox SOHO 6 and there is a 6tc that comes with VPN or you can buy the VPN for the 6. You may be able to get one cheap since they are being replaced by the X5 series. They do more than just stop inbound.:) You can look at the X5 series too. You may want to look at a low-end Sonicwall as well. Some of those Netgears do more than just stop inbound, along with Zywall and Zyxel.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Mobile Users. More specifically I just need pass-through PPTP capabilities for 3 tunnels at a time.

Filter by: incoming/outgoing port number and protocol, as well as outgoing IP.

- Marco

Reply to
grubertm

"supports VPN" is a pretty wide open statement. What do you want the VPN to do, and between where? Is it a site-to-site VPN? Mobile Users? What applications/sessions/data transfer do you plan to run over it?

Depends on the number of rules and complexity of those rules, and whether you want content inspection. E.

Reply to
E.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.