Should I stop these services to avoid infection of spyware in XP?

I read in a posting that stopping the below services could help prevent future virus/spyware infections (to a small degree). Is this true?

And if these services were stopped, what harm might it cause Internet browsing and other programs on a Windows machine?

****Services to STOP in XP to prevent infection?

Network Security Service Workstation Netlogon Service Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Helper

Thanks, Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas
Loading thread data ...

Check them out at . I think Black Viper's is pretty much *the* website for Win2K and WinXP service configurations.

Reply to
dak

Thanks, I have used that page before an should have thought of it. Thanks again Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1107381536.607153.40060 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

It's good to stop any unneeded services, and you'd be surprised just how many are of no use to the single computer home user. Stopping them frees up memory and resources and speeds boot time, to say nothing of (as you mentioned) possible exploits.

As mentioned, check blackviper.com. I used that page to shut down at least a dozen services on my Win2000 box.

Reply to
elaich

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.