Prosumer Firewall?

Is there a good router/firewall that will allow extensive control over restricting access? I want to block internal access at certain windows of time of each day of week and within those windows perform other restrictions like preventing everyting except FTP transfers to take place.

Also some control over blocking and sending message to specific IP or IP ranges. Stuff like that.

I have used the Linksys WTG54Gs and the BEFSX41, but neither off the extent of control I mentioned.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Jrtwine
Loading thread data ...

The devices you mention are NAT routers as opposed to firewalls, and typically offer very limited control of outbound traffic - as you have observed. Linksys NAT routers run Linux, and third-party distributions are available - these can significantly enhance functionality, but are (obviously) not supported by Linksys. Google if interested.

Alternatively, the Netscreen 5GT series offers true firewall functionality and can seamlessly replace a Linksys NAT router - albeit at considerably higher cost.

I'm very happy with my recent decision to replace a Linksys BEFSR41 with an NS-5GT. The Netscreen worked out of the box, my only issue is the time and effort required to implement additional traffic controls. Nice problem to have :-)

formatting link
Sunny

Reply to
Sunny

thanks...I went through the demo. Looks like it doesnt offer time window by day of week control.

Reply to
Jrtwine

Do yourself a favor and download the trial copy of Kerio Winroute Firewall at

formatting link
This is a computer based network firewall that is fully certified and includes the time window config you're speaking of. It can be controlled by day of the week also. Very nice. I've been using it for over 5 years. It's been a while since I looked at the price. It is licensed by number of supported nodes. I have 10 licensed and the cost is about $400.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Yes, it does - maximum of two time periods per day, which can be different for each day of the week.

Sunny

Reply to
Sunny

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.