Network security

I don't think I get this. If you have 3 networks on one wire please explain how one us 'unprotected' and 2 are 'protected'.

Reply to
Munpe Q
Loading thread data ...

You are talking about VLANS yes? If you are please send a diagram. VLANS can be secure if done correctly. However, it is probably best to use separate interfaces....send a diagram.

Michael

Reply to
Michael J. Pelletier

How secure is a network if the unprotected subnet 12.xxx.xxx.xxx and protected subnets 10.1.xxx.xxx and DMZ subnet 192.168.xxx.xxx are on the same physical wire. It seems to me that this is a disaster waiting to happen.

I am helping a friend at a small company and need help by pointing to industry best practices to defend taking this apart and starting over. any pointers to documentation is greatly appreciated.

Barry Streets

Reply to
Barry Streets

If these are on the same wire, then you are either VLANing or routing. If you are doing either, rules can be applied to restrict/limit traffic. Further any type of hardware firewall can also be inserted to add rules. Your question is just too general to get any more specific.

Reply to
Gregory W Zill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.