Netgear DG824M Router/Firewall - How do I open a port for 2 users?

Two systems are connected wirelessly to a Netgear DG824M Router/Firewall/ADSL Modem. I'm trying to open ports for both systems to be able to use the P2P application, "eMule".

The following rule works for my machine:

Service: eMule(TCP:4662) Action: ALLOW Always Send to LAN Server: 192.168.0.2 WAN Users: Any

but when I try to create an identical rule, except with the other machines LAN address, it doesn't work, unless it's placed higher in the list than my rule, but then mine doesn't work!

So how should I go about opening a port for 2 systems?

Dave.

Reply to
higgy
Loading thread data ...

higgy wrote in news:Xns952BDD1FEEDD0higgyslackerhotmailc@195.92.193.157:

You should find out what port triggering means. I don't know if you can get it to work for a p2p program on two computers, never heard of anyone trying to do it. It's bad enough the compromise risk on one machine, let alone two. ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Ah, thanks. I looked up port triggering and what I read implied it isn't possible to forward ports to two systems at the same time. I'll take a look see if I can run eMule with different ports to those that are set by default (probably should have done that first).

I know, but it's not like I'm working for NASA.

Dave.

Reply to
higgy

higgy wrote in news:Xns952C63ACDA7BBhiggyslackerhotmailc@195.92.193.157:

But that is exactly what port triggering does. It allows more than one IP/machine running the same program to share the same port(s) used by said program running on the machines. As an example an Internet game/program being played by multiple players/IP/machines behind the router over the Internet with other players. The router using port triggering on the shared ports that the game running on each IP/machine knows when to map the port and forward the traffic to the IP/machine/program that requested it. As opposed to port forwarding that only allows forward traffic to a single IP/machine that needs the port(s) forwarded and no other IP/machine behind the router can share the port (s).

I think you need to read some more ;-).

No you're not working for NASA, but that doesn't mean that one of your machines that have been compromised couldn't be used to attack NASA or anything else for that matter, leaving you holding the bag as they knock on your door. ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.