Blocking Outbound Traffic Only

I have a netgear router that has stateful packet inspection and would like a software firewall to block outbound traffic only since the router is only capable of blocking inbound. Is there a firewall that has the option to only monitor outbound traffic?

Reply to
Reactor
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Reactor) wrote in news:ac9d6eb9.0407231940.59b6aa03 @posting.google.com:

Well that depends on what O/S you're using. For me back when I was using the Linksys router and BlackIce which neither one can stop outbound by setting rules, I used IPsec that's on the O/S.

IPsec can stop inbound and outbound by port, protocol and IP.

formatting link
formatting link
The use of the AnalogX Secpol file makes IPsec simple to use based on the rules that have been created.

IPsec is active on the machines protecting the LAN.

Duane :)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You could set up a firewall rule to simply allow all incoming, but only check outgoing.

As it is, I would still let the software fireall check incoming. Unless you have speed problems (which shouldn't be an issue unless you have a VERY fast connection AND a VERY slow computer), it gives an extra line of defense in case the router is hacked, somehow gets misconfigured, or anything causes something to leak through.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Reactor) wrote in news:ac9d6eb9.0407231940.59b6aa03 @posting.google.com:

It sounds like you want an early version of Zone Alarm. Originally, they only offered outbound protection, and they worked fine for that. I still have ZA 1.7 on a CD, but last time I tried it, it would not work (maybe to the point of having to restore a drive image) - I don't recall if that was with Win98SE, WinME, or WinXP.

Reply to
Tom McCune

Any software firewall "worth its salt" could be set up to accomplish this. With Sygate for example, Advanced Rules could be set to Allow all TCP, UDP,and ICMP incoming connections. Application Rules could be set to control outgoing application connections. This of course would negate Sygate SPI. Casey

Reply to
Casey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.