Maximum Auto-Negotiation Time on Twisted-Pair Gigabit Ethernet

Hello,

I need to know how much time the Auto-Negotiation process can take in

1000Base-T networks. I have already looked into the IEEE 802.3 standard, but there is no maximum period specified directly. Maybe I have missed somehting... I also have to admit that I didn't READ the whole thing ;-)

In the 802.3u document, there is this "Link Test Fail state exit condition" of "autoneg_wait_timer expired and either RD = active or consecutive link test pulses = 3 min., 10 max". Since the link test pulses have a much shorter interval, this would mean that 1000 ms is the maximum.

But there are also other timers which sound like they may be somehow related to the maximum auto-negotiation time:

- autoneg_wait_timer 500 ms to 1000 ms

- break_link_timer 1200 ms to 1500 ms

- link_max_timer_done

Any help would be appreciated!

Reply to
christian.gelinek
Loading thread data ...

I am sure there is a standard out there somewhere with a time limit in it. I'm almost equally certain there are devices out there which do not adhere to the standard :( So, the question becomes one of the motivation behind the question. Are you trying to build something which meets the spec(s) or are you trying to see if something you are using is out of spec etc etc

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.