How to connect 100Base-TX w/o auto negotiation to 10/100Base

Does anyone knows hub or switch can connect the 100Base-TX device without auto speed negotiation function?

The device bemused me is Patton 1170M-ST ethernet-fiber modem. I tested it successfully with my pc's NIC which can be configured to

100Base only. When I set the NIC into auto speed mode the device is not recognized. It is not recognized any of the commercial 10/100Base hub.

Any suggestion?

Thx!

Reply to
keonyi
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like it doesn't support link pulses or ay other kind of negotiation. You either need a port that can be forced to a particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Thx Smith,

I'm seeking it. Would you recommend a small size switch? We are considering to buy a new converter but I don't want to throw it away.

Reply to
keonyi

I suspect the cost of even the cheapest managed switch will far exceed the cost of a new converter...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

:>> particular mode (managed switch or router) or a new media converter.

:>I'm seeking it. Would you recommend a small size switch? :>We are considering to buy a new converter but I don't want to throw it away.

:I suspect the cost of even the cheapest managed switch will far exceed :the cost of a new converter...

To be pedantic, you don't need a "managed switch", you just need a configurable bridge.

In any case, you are incorrect about the relative pricings. The OP can go on to eBay and buy a Baystack 28115/ADV switch, the ports of which are configurable for 10/Half, 100/Half, or 100/Full.

The 28115/ADV shows up fairly regularily on eBay. For example, there are at least 6 of them on auction at the moment, one of which has an opening price of $US 2.50 (plus $US 20 shipping within the USA.) (eBay item #5735442594). $US 9.99 is the common asking price for the 28115/ADV's

The user manual for the 28115/ADV can be found at

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.