EMI Immunity on Structured Cabling

I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of any thorough reports on RF immunity levels expected by Performance Category type (5e, 6, etc) UTP (unshielded twisted pair) structured cabling. I've seen reference to TIA levels of 3 V/m, and reference to test method IEC 61000-4-3. Not sure on how folk are interpreting the results. Just looking at change of bit error rate? Maybe could look at frequency spectrum on each pair and see if levels are significant enough to degrade S/N.

Thanks in advance,

Bob Elliot

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

I was about to answer, when I notice that you are from ieee, or at least using an ieee mail account.

In a recent post here I referenced an ieee web page on alien crosstalk in regard to FTP vs. UTP cabling. To do that test, they actually take cables and tie them with wire ties and run signals down them. Differential mode coupling depends not only on the signal strength (E and B fields) but on the variation of the fields with distance. I wouldn't expect a simple test method to be very useful.

Many of the cable companies have web pages describing their test methods, usually ones that show an advantage to their product.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.