wrong cable interface GigabitEthernet0/1

Hey all, I'm having an issue while trying to connect my switch to my router. I tried Googling the life out of the error but came up short.

Nov 9 17:13:05.953: IP ARP req filtered src xxx.xxx.xxx.198

0005.e700.3049, dst xxx.xxx.xxx.197 0000.0000. +0000 wrong cable, interface GigabitEthernet0/1

I can connect a crossover via my laptop and connect w/o issues but the moment I connect the switch I get those errors. I also cannot connect to any vlan interfaces either. Any thoughts (TIA)

Reply to
sil
Loading thread data ...

"wrong cable"

Maybe that's a clue? What cable are you using?

"I can connect a crossover via my laptop and connect w/o issues "

Connect to what with your laptop. The router or the switch?

Reply to
chris

This message means the router has seen an arp request for an address that doesn't belong to the interface it arrived on, i.e. if the router interface had an ip address of xxx.xxx.xxx.1/25, then as far as it's concerned neither xxx.xxx.xxx.197 or xxx.xxx.xxx.198 are valid addresses on that interface and seeing arp requests for those addresses on that interface can only be a mistake.

Some address is configured wrong or something is plugged in where it shouldn't be.

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.