Using BRI interface as backup

Hello,

I have an production router (Cisco 1721) running over ADSL. I also have a PIX 515e sitting behind it. The public IP of the PIX is where we have several public services (MX Record, HTPPS Extranet). So I am really tied to that IP address.

The ADSL line very occassionaly fails for a few hours (once a year maybe) and so I would like to take advntage of the BRI interface on my

1721 as a backup when the ADSL goes down.

My question is:

How can I setup the router to use the ISDN line as a backup and NOT lose all my public services tied to that public IP address?

The config does not have to be automatic. If manual changes need to be done to the config that is acceptable.

Thank you,

Pedro Sosa

Reply to
Pichi
Loading thread data ...

Will your ISP route your range of public IPs attached to the PIX over the ISDN? It is possible ive done it for many customers but involves a RADIUS change at their end and thats if they permit it.

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
Matty M

The ISP (Telefonica) here in Spain is awful. I could not even get them to agree to use a Cisco router. They gave us one of thier routers (Juan=B4s Router or something like that). So I put in the 1721 on my own, and for the price I pay every month I don=B4t expect ANY support. I would need to talk to about 50 people before anyone even understood what I am trying to do, and then they would say:

You cant do that!

Sorry but on this one I am alone.

Reply to
Pichi

You cant do that!

Sorry but on this one I am alone.

Hi,

Oh dear. :( Well because when you fire up your ISDN on a different IP address you wont be able to route your external PIX IP addresses even for internet access unless they are a little bit flexible.

If they can add

ip:route=

on your ISDN login at their RADIUS you will be a huge leap further. Or can you use your ADSL login as the ISDN login?

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
Matty M

Matt,

Thanks for you advice. So what you are telling me then is without thier (Telefonica) help I have no way of doing this on my own?

Cheers,

Pedro

Reply to
Pichi

Hi,

Yes in a way. You could manually reconfigure the IP on the PIX perhaps but it will require you reconfiguring things when the ADSL goes down. Bit of a nightmare way though.

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
Matty M

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.