[OT] building a fast network

Among other things, I am a photographer that is looking to move large volumes of images as fast as possible across my home network as possible and am wondering where the bottle neck is really going to be.

Currently I have invested in the fasted memory cards and memory card readers, about 40 MB a second read. Based on the numbers, a 1000G bit network can handle 125 MB a second, but in the real world, on my home network, will that really achievable?

Currently my fileserver is a bit old, it is a Pentium III on good

*OLD* PCI x133 bus, can it stand up to the load, I am guessing that it might not. I am trying to keep cost down and I do have an old IBM xServer that has 64-bit PCI bus, would that be able to handle the type of throw put I am looking for or do I simply need to move to a PCI-X bus?

What impact does the NIC and switch really have on things? Currently I am using some no name NIC=92s and an inexpensive 8-port gigabyte switch. Are there NIC=92s and switches that will yield better speed that I might want to consider?

Reply to
Cartoper
Loading thread data ...

99% sure your bottleneck would be the disk drives and / or IO.

A brand new HD today can do average writes at about 750Mbit/s sequential. So you will need some sort of fast RAID for utilizing Gigabit network.

Reply to
Nicolai

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.