Linksys WAP54G spontaneously changes MAC

So today my Linksys (Cisco) WAP started acting flaky. My Fedora laptop had low throughput and lots of dropped connections from about 20 ft away with an SNR of about 40db. What the heck, the WAP has been on continuously for probably a year. It could be time for a reboot. ... and so the adventure began.

I'll leave out the click-by-click trek, but for some reason the WAP MAC address had spontaneously changed from 00:16:b6:55:17:53 (a Cisco MAC) to 00:90:4c:91:00:01, which IEEE says is

00-90-4C (hex) EPIGRAM, INC. 00904C (base 16) EPIGRAM, INC. 870 WEST MAUDE AVE. SUNNYVALE CA 94086 UNITED STATES

Seem a bit freaky? Apparently I have some (but not much) company.

formatting link
If you avoided going to the URL, let me summarize. Several Linksys WAP54G WAPs have changed their MAC to (very specifically)

00:90:4c:91:00:01. The discussion volume appears to be quite low (like nothing on USENET that I found), so either people are just throwing these things away or I'm right behind the cutting edge.

Are others seeing a similar effect on their WAP54Gs? I've lost a bit of confidence in my WAP, but after a "factory reset," going through the setup, and adjusting my DHCP reservation for the WAP, it seems to be working OK again.

Thoughts, anyone?

Reply to
Allen Kistler
Loading thread data ...

I've got a WAP54G v2 currently running Firmware Version: v3.04, Oct 31, 2005

Its still got the same MAC as on the label.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

formatting link
>

FWIW, mine is v3.1 with the same firmware. It came out of the box with that firmware.

Reply to
Allen Kistler

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 22:24:59 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Allen Kistler:

Visit dd-wrt.com and see for yourself how your Linksys unit can be sorted.

Reply to
Alex Buell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.