Help with DECNet problem

I am hoping someone can help with this problem We currently have 2 DECNet hosts on opposite sides of a single Cisco router. I have the following config on that router which works fine...

decnet routing 6.200 decnet node-type routing-iv ! interface FastEthernet0/0 decnet cost 5 ! interface FastEthernet0/1 decnet cost 5

We are moving to a more complex intersite IP network which looks more like this. SiteAHost SiteARtr TelcoSiteARtr TelcoMPLSWAN TelcoSiteBRtr SiteBRtr SiteBHost

I have control over both SiteARtr and SiteBRtr but none of the Telco equipment although they "assure" me that they support DECNet. If I simply duplicate the existing commands on the new Site A and B routers, will it work? Is there anything else I need to do? Will the Telco need to add anything to their configuration?

Thanks -Rob-

Reply to
ve7eje
Loading thread data ...

Would seem to me to be vanishingly unlikely that a current provider would support DECnet. Unless you get a Layer 2 service from them in which case they do not "see" the DECnet (L3) traffic.

One option might be to do your own L2TPv3 tunnel or maybe you can tunnel DECNet over IP. Not sure.

int tu 1 decnet commands here source ip.address dest ip.address

Ask them for confirmation in writing (a proper letter through the post) from their Chief Technology Officer that they will support your proposed DECNet solution.

Reply to
bod43

| One option might be to do your own L2TPv3 tunnel or | maybe you can tunnel DECNet over IP. Not sure. | | int tu 1 | decnet commands here | source ip.address | dest ip.address

You could certainly do DECNet over GRE at one time, though I'm beginning to wonder how much longer Cisco will support these "legacy" protocols. Seems to me they gave notice several IOS versions ago that a number of protocols (including DECNet) were going away, but only Vines actually went. On the other hand I thought I'd noticed that DECNet-specific commands had become more hidden lately, with even the simple shows requiring a privileged mode.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.