Catalyst 6000 advise

We have a couple of Catalyst's 6509's at work running CatOS that i need to start administering. The boss is a little reluctant to let me loose on these as we have quite a few customers hanging off them. Someone has suggested aquiring a Cat 5000 for home lab training to learn on and i initially thought this to be a good idea as they are both CatOS. Would the skills on a Cat 5000 be transferable to a Cat 6000? and whats the difference between them apart from the PRICE?

TIA Mark

Reply to
Sonofagun
Loading thread data ...

A CAT5000 running catOS is identical to a 6500 from an administrative standpoint and is definitely a good practice. The 6000 just has more hardware (bigger back plane, higher density (can have more blades, and can have more ports per blade).

I 100% agree that a 5000 is a great piece of lab eqiupment for learning the device.

But something to consider - the 6000 is definitely a big piece of equipment and if it can affect a large group of people, I'd highly recommend you get some detailed training for the CatOS. A good class would be the BCMSN class (Building Cisco Multi-Switched Networks). It focuses on the 5000/6000 switches.

The only drawback is that the BCMSN is now focusing on the IOS version, not the CATOS version. But this is the direction Cisco says they are going as the CatOS will be extinct in coming years.

If you can't afford formal training, or want to stick to learning the CatOS, then I'd suggest finding a an older BCMSN book (from probably

2002 or 2003, for CCNP test # 640-504). This should cover most of what you'd need to learn (and you could practice on a Cat5000.

Ryan

Reply to
rdymek

If I remember correctly the Cat5k is end of lifed and CatOS has been declared a relatively dead technology in general. Start running native IOS.

Paul

Reply to
paperboy

All new Cisco switches are IOS-based only.

Switch OS ===== ===

2960 IOS 3560 IOS 3750 IOS 4500 IOS (CATOS only on a limited number of SUP s) 4900 IOS 6500 IOS, CATOS

CATOS's days on the 6500 would seem to be numbered ...

Native IOS has been out for quite a while for the 6500 and is quite stable.

The new advanced feature like software modularity are ONLY being delivered in IOS images.

I would think that you wopuld be better off going to a course and learning IOS on the 6500.

Reply to
Merv

Buy this book.

formatting link
It contains excellent on the switching infrastructure of the larger Cisco chassis. It also explains part of the routing options for these chassis as well.

J
Reply to
J

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.