Question regarding Multicasting

Hi

Quick question about multicasting, that I hope someone can help me with...unfortunately, I've never had any real life experience with it, so am having a bit of difficulty visualising it.

Say I have a multicast group set up for 224.2.155.145. The source is Host A, and the receivers are Hosts B, C, and D.

Does Host A send out three packets to the multicast IP address, knowing in advance that 3 hosts are subsribed to it, or does it only send out one packet that is somehow shared by the 3 hosts?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Host A will send out only one packet and will be received by host B,C, and D. As such, it saves bandwith.

Reply to
Guan Foo Wah

Thanks mate.

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe

And what important this one IP mcst packet is "cloned" in proper nodes in internetwork. The routers in the internetwork run multicast routing protocols, such us PIM, thanks to that they know where are the recievers for each mcst group.

Wlodek.

Reply to
Everyman

proper nodes in

Thanks Wlodek...where exactly are the packets cloned?

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe

In the routers and switches!

Basically the point of multicastis to reduce traffic

Source |

-------------------------- | | | | | R1 | | | | | S1----Client2 | | | | | Client1 | | | R2 | | | S2 | | | Client3 | | R3------------R4-----S4-Client4 | S3-Client6 | Client5

Assuming all clients want to Rx the group, R1 will forward each packet to S1. S1 will duplicate it to Clients 1&2 R2 will forward t0 S2 which will forward to C3 R3 will duplicate to S3 and R4. R4 will forward to S4, to C4 S3 will duplicate to C5&6.

That's 6 clients all get a copy of the packet from just one sent by the source.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Thanks for the excellent explanation, Paul.

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.