PAT, One IP and SMTP

I have a PIX 515 and it is connected to one remote office with site-to-site vpn IPSEC tunnel (pix 506) in addition to being the firewall for internet access for the company. I need to host a MS Exchange 2000 server behind the

515. I understand that Exchange won't work with the mailguard feature correctly so from what I have seen I should just setup SMTP forwarding to the internal (private IP) Exchange box. However, when I run the first command to do this, which is #static (inside, outside) x.x.x.x etc.. The vpn stops and the internet access stops. So, my question what are the commands/steps needed to forward SMTP traffic to a mailserver that is behind a 515 using PAT for outbound traffic and assigned one IP address on the external interface? Thanks in advance for anybody who can shed some light on this.

DJ

Reply to
TechinLA
Loading thread data ...

You need to do PAT statics, not 1 to 1. You do this by specifying the protocol and in your case using the outside IP which is specified by using the word interface.

example: using 192.168.10.10 as your mail servers private IP static (inside,outside) tcp interface 25 192.168.10.10 25 netmask

You also need to permit it thru your outside access list

access-list outside permit tcp any any eq 25 access-group outisde in interface outside

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

Thanks Brian. I will put those in and I see now where what I was entering was wrong. Thanks for the help..

DJ

Reply to
TechinLA

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.