Current CCNA test is harder?

Hello perople,

Please let me ask. I have taken CCNA in 2001.I think that my CCNA was expired. I was into Linux and away from Cisco stuff. I'm asked to take CCNA, then CCNP.

When I took CCNA it was not difficult, however, I heard that current CCNA is not so easy to get it. Is that true? If you know some info about this, please let me know. I will be grateful before I prepare for CCNA - CCNP certificate. Thank you,

Reply to
yoshiro
Loading thread data ...

Our study group took in a person with a MCSE 2000 and after 3 months of studing on his own and all of us meeting weekly, he passed his CCNA on the second attempt last month with a score of 910.

We fear what we do not understand. Do not fear the CCNA. Learn the CCNA.

Reply to
Scott Perry

If you know what you're doing it's not bad at all (kind of the point) it is more difficult then the '01 exam as it is a bit more in depth (imo) but at the same time it is more in depth into relevant topics and is really not much of a challenge.

If you've moved away from cicso gear and don't deal with it on a daily basis I certainly would not recommend writing without significantly refreshing your knowledge.

yoshiro wrote:

not so easy to get it.

before I prepare for CCNA - CCNP certificate.

Reply to
ewhost

How can an exam no longer covering ISDN be more difficult?

From cisco.com -

*NEW* Describe the impact of applications (Voice Over IP and Video Over IP) on a network Describe the technological requirements for running IPv6 in conjunction with IPv4 (including: protocols, dual stack, tunneling, etc) Describe IPv6 addresses

*NEW* Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN :

• Describe standards associated with wireless media (including: IEEE WI-FI Alliance, ITU/FCC)
  • Identify and describe the purpose of the components in a small wireless network. (Including: SSID, BSS, ESS)
  • Identify the basic parameters to configure on a wireless network to ensure that devices connect to the correct access point
  • Compare and contrast wireless security features and capabilities of WPA security (including: open, WEP, WPA-1/2)
  • Identify common issues with implementing wireless networks. (Including: Interface, Miss configuration)

*NEW* Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats:

• Describe today's increasing network security threats and explain the need to implement a comprehensive security policy to mitigate the threats
  • Explain general methods to mitigate common security threats to network devices, hosts, and applications
  • Describe the functions of common security appliances and applications
  • Describe security recommended practices including initial steps to secure network devices

*NEW* Describe VPN technology (including: importance, benefits, role, impact, components)

Reply to
Aubrey Adams

not so easy to get it.

before I prepare for CCNA - CCNP certificate.

You have a choice of two ways to certify. Either take the combined composite exam or the two separate exams. The first exam of the two is easy. The second one will nail you on access lists and WAN protocols so be prepared. If you take the composite exam, the questions will be across the spectrum, but do not expect easy questions. Good news is that the old IPX/SPX stuff, Token Ring, and Appletalk is gone. Bad news is IPv6 and OSPF is fair game on new CCNA. Also, if you take the CCNA after Dec, it will have changed again.

Reply to
networkteacher

"Easy" is relative - 640-821 INTRO (available until 06 Novemebr 2007) reuires a reasonable knowledge of router configuration and TCP/IP operations.

It will be interesting to see how it's replacement, 640-822 ICND1 available

01 August 2007, will be considered.

Maybe, but remember -802 no longer incldues ISDN.

That all disappeared long ago when 640-801 came along..

How is that as bad news?

Anyway, single Area OSPF was introduced in 640-801. The IPv6 stuff in 640-802 is only conceptual, no configuration- "Describe the technological requirements for running IPv6 in conjunction with IPv4 (including: protocols, dual stack, tunneling, etc) Describe IPv6 addresses"

Really? That's interesting speculation. Or do you mean December 2008?

Aubrey

Reply to
Aubrey Adams

I just passed my CCNA last week - no ISDN ,plenty of Frame Relay , VLSM , ACL simulation and STP simulation -including finding MAC addresses corresponding to IP addys in VLANs-a whole lot was on Layer 1 troubleshooting - hope this helps....I took it in the UK-does this make any difference ? Can anyone tell me if its worth going for a qualification in VOIP or CCNP next? TIA

Reply to
daytime

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.