cable modem trouble

I'm using earthlink via rr/tw cable and using their oem cable modem all is fine. I decided to buy (not from earthlink) a spare Motorola SB5100 cable modem and after I power up, the power light blinks while the others stay on. I called their tech support and the guy said it was a faulty modem but he didn't sound too convincing so I wonder if anyone here knows? Would calling in the mac address to earthlink for the spare modem affect the connection ? I tried to power off / on everything but so far no luck. The reset button seems to do nothing tho I can power off/on regardless. When I hook everything back to the earthlink modem everything works again as normal.

Any ideas ??

Reply to
jim greene
Loading thread data ...

My mistake is I didn't learn enough before buying the new cable modem and I might have a faulty cable modem besides. Long story here but bottom line is thank you Art for your help.

Reply to
jim greene

Exactly Art. I edited my last message to you to keep it brief but my unedited message mentioned that I did call Earthlink per instructions on the new cable modem box (Motorola) and they will only allow one mac address at a time in their system unless I pay more per month. And then it takes 2-3 days to register it to get it to work. So I can't just swap out modems unless I call them and wait. Aside from this, within your last link provided, it looks like I might have a faulty modem (can't tell for sure because I didn't want to swap mac addresses with Earthlink) but the Motorola info said faulty modem and when I called Motorola (before I called Earthlink) they said it was faulty too. I'm not convinced it is because I think the mac address not being registered with Earthlink has more to do with the blinking power light because when it first boots up, the power light stays lit till the send(??) light comes on solid and then the power light begins to blink steady. So my dilemna is to go with a hunch or what I read and told by Motorola but I think I'll send it back but not sure if I want to exchange it or not. My guess right now is just to send it back but I'll think this out a bit more.

Your advice is good. Thanks again Art.

Reply to
jim greene

According to the SB5100 Manual, a flashing Power light indicates that Startup Diagnostics are taking place. Can you talk to the modem to see what is going on? http://192.168.100.1/ will get you to the configuration screens if it is working and you have the ethernet cable hooked up. You can download a manual from Motorola at this site.

formatting link

Reply to
Art Jackson

In Addition, I just looked at the Troubleshooting guide at

formatting link
it indicates that if the other lights are on, and the power light is flashing, that the Network Access is Off. I'd suggest you call Earthlink support and tell them what is going on, and maybe they can suggest what to do, to get the spare modem connected. It may be a simple matter of just giving them the mac address and letting them add it to your configuration record. Good luck.

Reply to
Art Jackson

If they want you to wait 2 or 3 days for something that takes only a few seconds to change, I suggest you change ISPs. That is downright asinine. Changes to Mac addresses take just about 5 minutes here, with Charter Pipeline, which isn't known for great customer service..

Reply to
Ron Hunter

formatting link
>> and it indicates that if the other lights are on, and the power

It's Earthlink over RR cable. RR probably doesn't answer Earthlink's support calls.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

If your original modem is working but not the 5100 then they still have the old (original) MAC address on your account. You can only have one modem at a time on your account so you need to have TWC do this.. Earthlink has nothing to do with it as TWC does the actual provisioning.

Reply to
helion

formatting link
>>> and it indicates that if the other lights are on, and the power

But couldn't he just give them the new mac address and wait the few days? My thinking is they are not going to disable the old one asap, the same day. They are just going to call rr and have switch the mac to the new one. When that happens, the old modem will not work anymore and that's when you know to hook up the new one. opinions?

Reply to
Danska

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.