linksys wireless router

what is a safe distance to sit from my wireless router?

also, if I disable "wireless" will it stop emitting RF? Thanks!

Reply to
zdillo
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Do you use cordless phone or cell phone? Then well?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

snipped-for-privacy@nut.net hath wroth:

Light reading:

with lots of references and URL's.

Using the calculator at:

I find that a typical +15dBm 2.4GHz xmitter, into a typical 2dBi antenna, is safe beyond 0.097ft in a controlled environment and

0.155ft in an uncontrolled environment. In other words, about 2" or furthur is safe.

Yes. It turns off the transmitter.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Why not just unplug the power? That is what I do here - then it is 100% secure when I don't need it Much faster & easier than messing with the browser, and less chance to mess it up.

Or do you just want to disable the wireless part and leave the wired part in operation? On some models yo can flip a switch or remove the antenna.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

About two inches.

Your computer monitor is emitting RF. Turn it off quick...

(seriously, this isn't something to worry about.)

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Thanks for the replies! I know that alone it probably isn't that harmful, but I am taking into account the burden of exposure over time (e.g., a lifetime of exposure to my computer, router, microwave, cell phone and anything else that I don't know about). Thanks again.

Reply to
zdillo

snipped-for-privacy@nut.net hath wroth:

True. The effects of RF exposure appear to cumulative over long periods of time. For example, before I got involved in the RF business, I had a full head of hair, a full bank account, and a generally positive attitude. After many years of exposure to RF, the hair is falling out, the bank account depleted, and the attitude is decidedly pessimistic. Obviously, this was all caused by RF exposure.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You don't happen to suffer from Agoraphobia also, do you?

Reply to
dejola

Joking aside, you may want to remove all electrical appliances from your house in that case. and emigrate to Antartica. Its impossible to live in a modern country without being completely surrounded by radio waves.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

You mean I cannot sit with my router antenna in my mouth safely? -:)

Reply to
George Conklin

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:06:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nut.net wrote: : Thanks for the replies! I know that alone it probably isn't that harmful, : but I am taking into account the burden of exposure over time (e.g., a : lifetime of exposure to my computer, router, microwave, cell phone and : anything else that I don't know about). Thanks again.

A lifetime of exposure to chicken nuggets and French fries is probably four orders of magnitude more dangerous.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:30:18 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote: : On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:06:13 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , : snipped-for-privacy@nut.net wrote: : : >Thanks for the replies! I know that alone it probably isn't that harmful, : >but I am taking into account the burden of exposure over time (e.g., a : >lifetime of exposure to my computer, router, microwave, cell phone and : >anything else that I don't know about). Thanks again. : : Joking aside, you may want to remove all electrical appliances from : your house in that case. and emigrate to Antartica. Its impossible to : live in a modern country without being completely surrounded by radio : waves.

ANTARCTICA?? That's right under the ozone hole!! Are you trying to get him killed by ultraviolet rays?

Reply to
Robert Coe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.