Free Wi-Fi access on BART in San Francisco during beta

Except that the marginal cost of the Internet service is nearly zero. In this case, the guy who owns the business probably uses it to place orders or for other business uses, but when the place is crowded, he'll be handling orders as well as his staff. So basically he's letting his customers use excess capacity. If it attracts more people, those indivuals will tell their friends, helping to build up a customer base.

I used it this morning and during a discussion with a friend I met there, I ended up emailing a URL (literally to the person sitting right across the table from me) to save having to write down the link from a web site.

Reply to
Bill Z.
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 04:39:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.pacbell.net (Bill Z.) wrote in :

The problem is the Tragedy of the Commons, where the service gets abused by folks doing things like illicit file sharing, which more than soaks up any excess bandwidth, and risks bringing law enforcement down on the local establishment.

Reply to
John Navas

The "Tragedy of the Commons" seems to be a non-issue in this case, partly due to the clientel. Since the business is providing its customers with an Internet service - connectivity for buying coffee, the business might be covered by the ISP exception to the DMCA: .

Reply to
Bill Z.

Chances are they are simply 'sharing' their end-user ISP account with clientele, and their terms of service probably forbid this in a business setting; how do you suppose they could successfully defend or afford to defend against criminal or civil prosecution?

Michael

Reply to
msg

Since many coffee shops do this, there terms of service most likely do not forbid it, which is why business accounts cost more.

Also, they might have a solid defense against what their customers do based on laws that protect ISPs. If you want to claim otherwise, show one case of a business providing free wifi for its customers ever being successfully prosecuted for copyright infringement. Given that they allegedly sued one person for "illegal downloads" using a service that didn't run on his/her hardware/OS, the lack of any cases should be a pretty good indication as to whether it is a non issue.

Reply to
Bill Z.

This is a pretty interesting debate, but does anybody have any real facts, as opposed to the "chances are", "probably", "most likely" and "they might" type of guesswork?

Reply to
Rahul Dhesi

That's why I asked about any cases in which a business providing free wifi ever got in legal trouble due to their customers' usage of the service. Naively reading it, the DMCA seems to protect them, but then you have to know all the "case law", etc. If there have never been any court cases, I'd sort of like to know why - it is not because the music industry isn't going after people.

Reply to
Bill Z.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.