Actiontec Mi424 + Jetdirect

Ahoy all...I have a slightly odd problem here, wonder if anyone could help. I have a networked HP laserjet working fine within a home network, with its own IP and all. The internet connection is Verizon FIOS, with a fixed IP and Actiontec Mi424 router. I'd like to be able to print to the printer from outside the network (I know it works with a Linksys router) by opening up port 9100 to the outside world. I've tried to set it up but printing to the IP address on the network using port 9100 fails...anyone who knows the Actiontec "MegaControl Panel" want to take a shot at this?

Reply to
Ubtertrout
Loading thread data ...

Your local IPs are "private", meaning that they are not routable out- there.

You might get "port-forwarding" to work, where the router sends packets addressed to its "real" external interface IP and port like 9100 to IP you specify of some internal interface, and port. Ideally, fixed. :')

Manual says that this works for only one IP. Of course, you only have one "real" IP to send packets to. You do know how to find that, no?

Took me some time to get manual for that router from Verizon.

Then you have to configure client IP printing. And hope the world doesn't pound your printer.

J
Reply to
barry

I've tried to set up port forwarding...it doesn't work, and I'm not sure why. I set up a RAW protocol with the router, and I have port

9100 forwarding to the IP inside the router, but it doesn't go.

And if the world pounds the pr> >

Reply to
Ubtertrout

Okay. How do you know it doesn't work? You might want to find some FAQ on port-forwarding and other aspects of firewalls, to get an understanding of subject.

Router forwards external "real" IP:port to internal IP:port. To have that happen, external host would have to send to that public IP:port. Which should be in the logical printer config, and may well be the tricky part.

Meaning, on setting up a wireless print-server, the process involved downloading an executable from that server to each pc, to set up IP printing to the physical printer. (via IP:port.)

J
Reply to
barry

Default guide for Port Forwarding:-

formatting link
How did you check to see if it worked? Did your test computer have the correct printer driver installed?

Reply to
Kev

I'm sorry if I've been unclear...I recognize I was a bit cryptic earlier. I set up a port forwarding that should work pursuant to the instructions given, but the documents fail to go through. The way I tested was to set up two printers. The first was to print to the LAN IP, the second was to print to the WAN IP, which would forward to the LAN IP. Setup for the WAN printer was simply to specify the IP, since for a jetdirect it uses the proper port automatically (when it couldn't detect the printer type I specified Jetdirect). Only the LAN printing worked.

I know there could be some c> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Forwarding:-

formatting link

Reply to
Ubtertrout

This I find confusing. You have sent out a print request on your WAN IP , provided by you, which will go via port 9100 and you expect it to loop back to the same IP address and then forward via port 9100 to your printer? In the past to get loopback on a router I had to use a "loopback plug" e.g.http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/nog/nog-interfaces/html/fe-ge-loopback25.htmlI cut up an old ethernet cable with plugs attached and soldered the appropriate wires together. I haven't tried this for several years so don't know whether it will work for you. Have you tried getting someone from the "outside world" to try and print via your Actiontec?

formatting link
>

Reply to
Kev

I forgot to ask if you had tried hard wiring your PC to the WAN port and used port forwarding. If you gave your router an IP of 10.10.10.1 and your PC NIC an IP of

10.10.10.2 and tried to print , what happens?
Reply to
Kev

formatting link

I actually just tried it from a remote computer, and ran into the same problem...it didn't go through. I guess I'm just scratching my head wondering why.

Reply to
Ubertrout

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.