Re: Western Union public fax services, 1960 [Telecom]

It wasn't FedEx that supplanted railway express but UPS that did this. Railway express was a wonderful service way back when. My parents had salmon fishing water up in Canada, in the Gaspé peninsula. You reached it overnight by a single train rail line from montreal. They sent salmon down to friends in the states by railway express. Each salmon was packed in a pine coffin-like box that was lined with snow that had been preserved in an ice house since the winter. Every 100 miles those boxes were repacked with fresh ice by railway express until they reached their destination. UPS, called United Parcel Service, was a small company that delivered packages from NYC department stores to customers who lived in the suburbs, including Westchester county, Connecticut, and New Jersey. With the development of air travel and the decline of the American rail system, Railway Express began its rapid decline, aided by the sudden expansion of UPS into carrying packages throughout the country.

Eventually, UPS began to use air cargo for its big boxes, too, but relied mostly on its trucks. FedEx came along and had the idea of creating a hub for its business, which for many years was primarily documents, not big boxes. This was established in Memphis. FedEx was much helped by its hub, and by the increasingly poor service provided by the post office. The post office was a victim of politics first: each time a new president entered the White House each and every post office in the country got a new boss, a political hack from the president's political party.

Anyway, the document business was flourishing for FedEx, but was beginning to become mature. So, FedEx management decided to begin to encroach and the box business in which UPS had a monopoly, and it succeeded over time to become a major player.

-er

Reply to
earle robinson
Loading thread data ...

Just a side note...while UPS (United Parcel Service) had a large market share in parcel shipping, it was never a monopoly. At one time many people shipped their parcels via the US Post Office, and some still do ("parcel post"). Unfortunately, the quality of the Post Office service on parcels declined.

Reply to
hancock4

It's interesting in this part of the country to listen to an aviation band scanner late at night and hear the air traffic controllers lining up the FedEx ducks converging on Memphis. Other airports are busier overall, but I've read that Memphis is close to being the busiest during the peak hours of FedEx arrivals and departures.

Reply to
Jim Haynes

It might surprise you to know that the US Post Office has gotten pretty darn good in recent years. My wife uses them for shipping pretty much exclusively. For a less than 2 lb. box of chocolates to arrive in a couple of days USPS beats UPS/FedEx/etc. on price and they haven't lost or damaged one yet. Of course, that's just one sample.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

I can't speak to parcel post (which now seems to cost about 75% the cost of priority mail), but in some circles (e.g. people who ship accordions, which are fairly heavy and extremely complex instruments that are very susceptible to shipping damage) priority mail is the way to go. I don't know if the USPS has less automated mangling, fewer baggage handlers competing in the carton hurl olympics, or what, but the other services are far more likely to damage the shipment (even if it is well packed). And it's half the price of UPS for the same delivery time (priority mail vs. UPS 2nd day), a third the price of Fedex (and USPO counts Sat. as a "day", while UPS and Fedex don't).

And the postal guys are reliable about signatures, too.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

Well, clearly you need a better sample size. So please ship out twenty five separate boxes of chocolates to our moderator...

***** Moderator's Note *****

Much as I'd like to participate in the research, neither my conscience nor my waistline allow for such gifts. I will, however, suggest that those seeking to test the USPS' chocolate-delivery performance send such gifts to the USO for distribution to soldiers overseas.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
danny burstein

I agree, for all my E-Bay sales I use the USPS Priority Mail and packages are always delivered in no more the n 3 days and in one piece. Didn't FedEx get its start from Flying Tiger?

Reply to
Steven Lichter

As far as I know, "Priority Mail" is handled differently than Parcel Post. The USPS says to use Parcel Post when value is important. As another posted noted, the price is about 75% of Priority Mail. Parcel Post delivery time can be up to 8 days.

I guess if one is mailing something a long distance and it's very heavy, Parcel Post may save money. But based on the way the website describes the services, I think they're pushing people to use Priority Mail.

The USPS website says:

Priority Mail® Large or thick envelopes, tubes, and packages containing mailable items can be sent using Priority Mail. This service is typically used to send documents, gifts, and merchandise. Priority Mail envelopes and boxes are available at the Post Office?.

Parcel Post® Small and large packages, thick envelopes, and tubes containing gifts and merchandise can be sent using Parcel Post.

I am curious what kind of handling, back in the 1960s, a domestic letter marked "Air Mail" would get; that is, beyond having an airplane fly it instead of a train or truck, would it be expedited in other ways?

Reply to
hancock4

If you ever take a domestic flight watch what gets loaded into the cargo areas. You'll see tray after tray, sack after sack of mail and the USPS logo is on both trays and bags.

They take advantage of the domestic air travel system.

Reply to
T

Interestingly I've noted that UPS services are best played if you act like a business. Found that out when I had stuff shipped here with my business name on it.

That said, USPS seems to have caught up.

Reply to
T

I sell electron parts and sometimes they are very heavy so I use Flat Rate Boxes, so they cost about $8.00 with tracking and most buyers want Priority.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

In Steven Lichter writes: [snip]

If your shipments of electron parts are very heavy, I'd hate to think what your boxes of neutronium weigh.

obtelecom: in a large, but declining, portion of the world, the local telecom systems are cross-owned by the postal services.

***** Moderator's Note *****

I had considered, very briefly, a joke along those lines when I approved the original post. I decided that it was too easy.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
danny burstein

As I recall, as the 1960s went on much first-class mail also moved by air. The mail that was designated as "Air Mail" got priority; first-class mail flew on a space-available basis.

Reply to
Roland Hutchinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.